What is DbaaS(database as a service)?
“Database as a Service (DBaaS) offers organizations accelerated deployment, elastic capacity, greater consolidation efficiency, higher availability, and lower overall operational cost and complexity.” — @Javier Puerta, Oracle’s director of core-technology partner
Database Cloud Service offers elastic database services for application development, test and production deployment. The service delivers an easy to use web console user interface and RESTful API to provision and administer Oracle Database on Oracle Compute Cloud Offerings.
As we dive deeper, it gets better.
- DBaaS reduces database sprawl. DBaaS lets you shift your organization from administering a complex collection of silos — each requiring their own care, feeding, and patching — to a business powered by an agile and flexible database cloud.
- DBaaS supports rapid provisioning. Need to spin up a new database real quick? No problem. In fact, if you happen to be using Oracle Database 12c, you can clone an existing database in minutes.
- DBaaS enhances security. Maintaining each database in a separate container creates a kind of virtual moat, which is an impediment for the bad guys.
- Automation enables centralized management of all your databases. This is a key feature that isn’t universally available in the DBaaS world.
Multitenant is a canonical win-win in that it’s both a consolidation and a simplification play. In this architectural model, a multitenant container database can hold multiple, individual — we call the “pluggable” — databases. The line marketing uses is “managing many databases as one.”
- Multitenant allows you to rapidly provision “tenants” (pluggable databases) from a single database container.
- Using Multitenant gives you the agility to clone copies of databases in minutes.
- Allows true isolation between database tenants.
- Built-in solid high availability, disaster recovery and security for each tenant database.
- Enables significant reduction in database sprawl.
- Innovative container approach facilitates not only deployment, but testing, too.
One of the reasons why DBaaS works so well and why so many IT organizations are finding it very cost effective is manageability.
What are the DbaaS?